I have been working as a developer since 1991 and have a great deal of experience using a large range of technologies. More recently I have become interested in machine learning and have taken a number of online courses in this subject.
Feb 2019 to present
Senior Software Developer (contracts)
Two separate three-month contracts to complete the development of a web application that records the details of farm animals across the UK.
- Adapted quickly to the new environment and was soon updating and adding components to the product.
- "You made a massive impact in a relatively short period of time and we would have faced some large challenges without you." (main client contact)
Jul 2013 to Nov 2018
LEWIS Creative Consultants Ltd
Senior Technical Developer
Responsible for the back-end development of websites and the more technical projects for this web design agency.
- Developed and maintained numerous websites and web applications for clients, using .NET and the Umbraco CMS.
- Created a fully-functional .NET MVC web chat application for an existing client, using SignalR for the communication and Vue.js for the front-end logic.
- Responsible for the mentoring of the more junior members of the team and external contractors.
Oct 2008 to Jul 2013
Livingstone Web Services Ltd
Formed a company for the development and promotion of a web-based project management application and various mobile applications.
- Devised, developed and operated an online project planning and monitoring application.
- Designed and developed an automatic testing system, which allowed more frequent releases of the software through the running of repeatable scripts.
- Produced various applications for use with the Android and iOS mobile technology platforms, using native language environments (Android Java SDK and Objective-C).
Oct 1994 to Oct 2008
4sight Financial Software Ltd
Worked on a securities lending software system which was sold to investment banks and other major financial organisations, usually with client-specific customisations. Undertook different roles during projects for this small and dynamic company.
- Involved in every aspect of design, development and testing of customer enhancements during the entire time spent with the company.
- Developed using both client and server technologies, including Oracle and Sybase (SQL and stored procedures), and Sybase's PowerBuilder for the front-end.
- Played a key role in the original design and development of the securities lending product.
Project Manager and Team Leader
- Managed the enhancement and implementation of the securities lending product for seven major client projects, along with numerous other smaller projects.
- Responsible for the full waterfall software development life cycle, from requirements-gathering and agreement, through design, development and testing, to deployment and client acceptance.
- Coordinated all development activity, leading project teams, producing progress reports and holding regular internal and external progress meetings.
- Consistently attained customer recognition for the quality of work carried out.
- Built strong relationships with client management, business and technical teams.
- Collaborated with traders, back-office staff and technical staff to produce initial design studies and functional requirements documents.
- Produced technical specification documents for the development team to implement.
Please note that 4sight Financial Software was previously known as TCAM Systems, Stratus and OM Technology.
Sept 1991 to Apr 1993
ITT World Directories (UK) Ltd
Oct 1993 to Sept 1994
MSc Human Computer Interaction (with distinction)
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh
Sept 1987 to June 1991
BSc Hons Computer Science (1st Class)
Hatfield Polytechnic, Hertfordshire
- Machine Learning. I have passed a number of online courses in the subject and am looking at personal projects to demonstrate my skills.
- Italian language. I am currently in my tenth year of evening classes, travel to Italy regularly and recently took a two-week intensive course in the country.